Located 2 1/2 hours from the capital Manila, Taal can be easily reached by private or public transportation. If you live in Luzon, then you don’t need to worry about airfare. If not, the nearest airport is in Manila (NAIA). Here’s how to get to Taal Town from Manila:
There are two ways to reach Taal from Manila. The first route, the easier one, uses the STAR Tollway or the Southern Tagalog Arterial Road.
- Hit the SLEX.
- Drive straight to STAR Tollway and exit at Tambo (Lipa City).
- Turn right from the exit and follow the signs to Cuenca.
- Stay on the national highway and you’ll pass through the towns of Alitagtag and Sta. Teresita.
- When you reach the Sta. Teresita junction, turn right and drive straight until you reach the Taal-Lemery Bypass Junction (watch out for a Flying V gas station).
- Turn left at the junction and follow the road and you’ll find the Taal Basilica easily.
Another way is to drive through Tagaytay City, which will give you a breathtaking view of the Taal Volcano.
- Take the Sta Rosa Exit at SLEX and stay on the highway until you reach the Tagaytay Rotonda.
- Turn onto the Tagaytay-Nasugbu Road (marked by a 7-Eleven Store) and drive straight until you reach the Batangas-Cavite boundary.
- Turn left at the boundary. Caution: this is a difficult drive as the road zigzags sharply and there are deep ravines on both sides. If you see the Fantasy World as you drive farther, you know you’re on the right track.
- Drive straight until you reach a junction called Mahayahay Crossing — turn left and stay on that road.
- You’ll pass through Lemery Town Proper. When you cross the Pansipit Bridge, you have entered Taal territory.
Take a bus bound for Lemery. Terminals of buses to Lemery can be found in the following:
- Buendia, Pasay City near Gil Puyat LRT Station;
- Kamias corner EDSA in Quezon City; and
- Araneta Center in Quezon City.
Ask the driver whether it will pass through Taal Town Proper or not. If yes, alight at the town center, in front of the Basilica of St. Martin de Tours. If not, get off at the Taal-Lemery Bypass Junction and ride a jeepney to the town center of Taal.